Last legislative session, I was one of many advocates fighting to stop House Bill 1134. I am proud of the effort I put in alongside so many other advocates. Our hard work paid off, but with the 2023 legislative session being just around the corner, I want this next session to be different.
I want our lawmakers to focus on equity and closing the academic opportunity gap for historically underserved students like mine. I want to continue standing alongside all the advocates who care about Indiana kids and the education they receive. I want us to make positive change together because if last session taught me anything about advocacy, it’s that there’s strength in numbers and together we can make a difference.
So today, I’m happy to announce the Stand for Children Indiana 2023 education agenda will be centered on feedback from advocates like me.
Here are some highlights from the survey that was used to craft the below education agenda:
- 77% of the people who took the Stand Indiana survey this year said they want our lawmakers to focus on equitable funding for public schools.
- Nearly 60% of survey takers want to ensure school curriculum and teaching practices align with scientific research.
- 60% of survey takers said they wanted lawmakers to focus on legislation aimed at closing achievement gaps between privileged/underserved students.
- 44% believed it should be a top priority to increase the number of young people applying for 21st Century Scholarship.
- Only 7% thought the state should take no action regarding the scholarship.
I hope you’ll continue advocating this year and take a stand for the things listed on the 2023 education agenda:
- Ensuring our public schools are equitably funded and that the school funding formula considers low-income and traditionally underserved students as well as our SPED and ELL populations.
- Advocating for our public schools to be equipped with the curriculum and best practices in teaching reading that aligns with scientific research as our state faces a literacy crisis.
- Supporting legislation aimed at increasing the number of young people applying for 21st Century Scholarships.
Thank you for your continued input and support. Look for more details on all of these issues in the coming weeks, and be sure to follow Stand Indiana on social media for ways you can get your friends involved.