Stand for Children is a unique catalyst for education equity and racial justice, to create a brighter future for us all. In Oregon, we work to connect historically underserved students with programs and support that help them graduate high school prepared to succeed in college or the work force.
Our Beat the Odds Scholarship program was started in 2007 to emphasize the critical role that education plays in helping students meet challenges and land on a path to success. The program is a partnership between Stand for Children Oregon and The Renaissance Foundation.
We are now accepting scholarship applications from eligible students in the class of 2024.
Please note that the eligibility criteria has recently changed. This year, scholarship applicants must:
- Be a student enrolled in an Oregon public high school, who will graduate in 2024.
- Have a 3.0 GPA. Students with a GPA between 2.5 and 2.9 may be considered if their transcript shows marked improvement in recent terms.
- Plan to earn a bachelor’s degree from an accredited 4-year college in the United States. (Note: Scholarships cannot be applied at community college. Awardees who opt to attend a community college will have their awards held until they are ready to transfer.)
- Be able to clearly communicate, both in their written application and in an interview setting, how education and/or their school is helping them overcome obstacles and land on a path to success.
- This year, priority consideration will be given to students who will be the very first person in their immediate family to attend a 4-year college. See the FAQ page within the application for details about how we define “first-in-family.”
- Have a demonstrated financial need.
Scholarship applicants should be comfortable sharing their story and speaking publicly about how education is helping them transcend barriers and achieve their goals. Recipients will participate in the creation of a video about their accomplishments and may be the subject of local news stories. Recipients will be celebrated at Stand for Children’s annual fundraiser on November 16, 2023.
Beat the Odds Scholarships are contingent on acceptance into an accredited 4-year college program and will be paid directly to the college. The award is renewable for up to four years ($16,000 total) provided the recipient maintains 2.5 GPA or better, maintains full-time enrollment, and funding is available.