What We Stand For
Arizona, we need to talk. Our state is in crisis when it comes to educating our children.
Here's a snapshot of where we're at:
- 60% of Arizona 3rd graders cannot read on grade level
- We're 48th in the country in state per-pupil spending
- We're 45th in the country in 4th grade reading (an important indicator of a student's future success)
- More than 1,000 teacher positions in Arizona are being filled by substitutes as some of our best and brightest educators flee to California or Nevada for higher pay
That's why we focus our work on the highest impact policy areas that are research-backed, proven to work, and will make the biggest difference for kids. In Arizona, we are currently working on:
- Addressing Arizona's reading crisis through policy and funding options
- Increasing funding for Early Literacy Grants
- Tying school performance funding to measurable, transparent achievement data
- Providing parents with the tools they need to address chronic absenteeism, which is one of the key factors contributing to the achievement gap between low income and higher income students
- Improving the pathway for young children entering school prepared to learn basic skills
Click on any issue for more about the research and data behind the policy's impact.