Career Opportunity: WA Executive Director
Stand for Children is a powerful voice for students. Our mission is to ensure that all children, regardless of their background, graduate from high school prepared for, and with access to, a college education. To date, Stand for Children’s eleven state affiliates (AZ, CO, IL, IN, LA, MA, OK, OR, TN, TX, and WA) have impacted the lives of millions of children through their state and district level work.
The Stand for Children family consists of two separate organizations—Stand for Children, a grassroots membership lobby for children exempt under section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code, and Stand for Children Leadership Center, a leadership development organization exempt under section 501(c)(3).
Stand for Children and the Stand for Children Leadership Center work together to:
- Educate and empower parents, teachers, and community members to demand excellent schools; and
- Advocate for effective local and state education policies and investments and ensure that those policies impact classrooms and students.
Separately, Stand for Children works to elect courageous leaders who will stand up for our priorities.
We stand for achievement by all students, through quality early childhood education, effective, empowered and supported teachers and principals, engaged families with high expectations, and other strategies that provide students the tailored instruction and support they need to graduate high school ready for college.
We stand for access to high quality schools for all students, especially students in poverty, students of color, and students learning English. To expand access to all students, we advocate for effective educational leadership at all levels, sufficient and effectively spent school funding, and clear, accurate information about how schools are performing for parents, educators, and the community.
We believe all children deserve an equal opportunity to succeed in life. Education is the key that unlocks the door to success, but far too many children, through no fault of their own, aren’t getting the education they need to make it in life. We are passionately committed to righting this wrong.
The next leader of Stand for Children Washington will have the opportunity to lead an organization that is truly making a difference to improve educational outcomes for students in some our highest-poverty neighborhoods in Tacoma and across the state.
Through our grassroots organizing and leadership training program for parents in struggling public schools, Stand Washington has built a network of parent advocates who are actively pushing for key improvements in their school across their community. And through the political advocacy arm of Stand Washington, the affiliate has played key roles in helping elect education champions at the local and state level, including playing a linchpin role in electing a pro-education reform majority in the Senate.
Key wins for children, in coalition with key partners, have included, among other improvements:
- Updating the state’s definition of basic education
- Establishing a competitive, high quality teacher mentoring program (BEST)
- Passing a law to improve our teacher and principal evaluations
- Successful lobbying to repurpose some state education funds to go to research-based interventions to ensure all students are reading by 3rd grade
- Playing a critical role in the statewide initiative to establish a charter school law
- Ensuring the Legislature doesn’t rollback college-ready standards and assessments
- Impactful lobbying efforts over multiple years to ensure the Legislature established a college-ready high school diploma
- Establishment of a fund to incentive school districts to automatically enroll eligible 10th graders into college-prep coursework
Through the implementation of these reforms, and the continued work to activate a strong network of parents in struggling public schools, Stand for Children Washington is working to ensure every child, regardless of their background, has access to a high-quality education.
The incoming Washington Executive Director will have the unique and exciting opportunity to lead a talented, engaged staff of change agents to the next level of impact by elevating its collaborative and action-oriented advocacy presence and leading the charge to improve outcomes for the students of Washington.
monTo do so, the Washington Executive Director will develop and execute a strategy for transformational change that includes:
- State-level advocacy for policies and investments to impact children across Washington;
- Strategy that ensures the improvement and successful implementation of current education reforms;
- Strategy at the district level for advocacy, elections, and family engagement in Tacoma and expansion into additional school districts; and
- Campaigns to elect education champions to school boards, the state legislature, and statewide offices.
S/he join will join a committed national team of professionals that provide strong administrative and program support to assist in building and maintaining a strong affiliate, including supervision and mentorship by Stand for Children’s Chief of State Operations.
- Continually refining and advancing an ambitious political and organizational impact strategy for the Washington affiliate and ensuring Stand for Children Washington achieves its strategic objectives;
- Fundraising throughout the year to ensure the Washington affiliate meets or exceeds quarterly and annual 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4), and aggressive independent political revenue goals;
- Hiring, managing, motivating, and developing a top-performing team of dedicated professionals, including fostering a culture of diversity, inclusion, transparency, and collaboration;
- Supporting and ensuring the effectiveness of Stand for Children’s Chapter in Tacoma in partnership with the Tacoma City Director;
- Collaborating with the Washington Marketing and Communications Director and outside vendors to establish an identifiable brand and digital constituencies in targeted districts;
- Working with the Washington Government Affairs Director, as well as allies, staff, and member leaders to develop thoughtful state policy and implementation proposals that will substantially improve student outcomes;
- Building and maintaining productive working relationships with key stakeholders, including heads of education organizations and advocacy groups, elected officials, school district leaders, civic and business leaders, education experts, and others;
- Serving as a compelling spokesperson; and
- Serving as a productive member of Stand for Children’s nationwide team and contributing to the growth and impact of the organizations.
- 10 years’ leadership experience within the non-profit, education, private, or government sectors; 5 years’ experience in advocacy and campaigning preferred;
- Superior political strategist and project manager with demonstrated ability to develop and execute electoral and/or legislative campaign strategies and manage tactical execution to achieve results; a demonstrated understanding of Washington state politics;
- Demonstrated track record of fundraising success, particularly with individuals, preferably including experience securing six-figure, multi-year gifts; experience with 501(c)(4) and political fundraising strongly preferred;
- Demonstrated success in effectively leading and developing staff; capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower top-notch leaders from the bottom up, lead collaboratively and decisively, and tap into each team member’s strengths and expertise to set them up for success;
- Outstanding relationship-building skills, with a track record of effective board development and external partnerships;
- An inspirational, collaborative leader who is passionate about Stand for Children and Stand for Children Leadership Center’s shared mission and goals;
- The tremendous drive and persistence consistent with high-achievers who aspire to achieve transformational outcomes and results;
- Exceptional communication skills; ability to communicate directly and respectfully with staff and external stakeholders; and
- Strong knowledge of education issues preferred; experience working in public schools a strong plus.
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience. Stand for Children is proud to offer excellent benefits: health and dental coverage; life insurance, and short- and long-term disability; 401K with a match plan; flexible spending/benefits plan; holidays and vacation accrual.