This weekend, in one of the few breaks they take during legislative session, state lawmakers return to their districts to host Town Halls with the people they represent. Take a look at the schedule of meetings below – is there one near you? If you’re not sure of your district, you can go to this link, enter your address and you'll find out right away.
By going, you'll be able to provide your voice on behalf of Washington’s students. This year Stand for Children has been working on:
- SB 6480, which acknowledges the critical role played by school counselors, and dedicates time and funding to make sure kids have a full team of supportive adults around them on their way to college, career or both.
- SB 6505, which reduces financial barriers to dual credit coursework, and
- SB 6117, which ensure equitable funding for special education.
You can support Washington students by asking your legislator if they are supportive of increasing the number of school counselors and encourage them to support SB 6480 for a hearing in the House. Here are some talking points to help.
2020 Town Halls
1st Legislative District Town Hall – Feb. 22, 3-5 p.m. with Sen. Stanford and Reps. Duerr and Kloba at Cascadia Community College.
3rd Legislative District Town Hall – Feb. 22, 10-11:30 a.m. with Sen. Billig and Reps. Riccelli and Ormsby at the Woman’s Club of Spokane ballroom (1428 W 9th Ave., Spokane).
5th Legislative District Town Hall – Feb. 22, three events with Sen. Mullet and Reps. Callan and Ramos.
- Maple Valley - When: 9:30-10:30 a.m. Where: Tahoma High School Performing Arts Center23499 SE Tahoma Way, Maple Valley, WA 98038
- North Bend - When: 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Where: North Bend City Hall920 SE Cedar Falls Way, North Bend, WA 98045
- Issaquah - When: 1:30 -2:30 p.m. Where: Blakely Hall At Issaquah Highlands2550 NE Park Dr, Issaquah, WA 98029
- Mount Vernon - When: 10 -11:00 a.m. Where: WSU Extension Center (1660 State Route 536, Mount Vernon)
- Oak Harbor - When: 1:30-2:30 p.m. Where: Oak Harbor High School Student Union Building (1 Wildcat Way, Oak Harbor)
11th Legislative District Town Hall – Feb. 22, 10 a.m.-noon with Sen. Hasegawa and Rep. Hudgins at the Teamsters Hall, Room 303 (14675 Interurban Ave. S, Tukwila).
12th Legislative District Telephone Town Hall - Feb. 27, 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. with Rep. Steele. Dial 509-724-2970 and press * (star key) to ask a question
16th Legislative District Town Hall - Feb. 22, 10 -11:30 a.m. with Rep. Jenkin at Richland Community Center (500 Amon Park Dr., Richland) - this is a joint meeting with the 8th district
21st Legislative District Town Hall – Feb. 22, 10 a.m.-noon with Sen. Liias, and Reps. Ortiz-Self and Peterson at Mariner High School Commons (200 120th St SW, Everett).
22nd Legislative District Town Hall – Feb. 26, 6:30-8 p.m. with Sen. Hunt and Reps. Doglio and Dolan at the Twin Star Community Foundation Event Center on the SPSCC Lacey Campus (4220 6th Ave. SE, Lacey)
24th Legislative District Town Hall – TBA with Sen. Van de Wege
26th Legislative District Town Hall - Feb. 21 and 22, seven events with Rep. Young or Rep. Caldier
- Port Orchard - Rep Young - When: Feb. 21, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m. Where: Port Orchard Council Chambers (216 Prospect Street, Port Orchard)
- Gig Harbor - Rep Young - When: Feb. 22, 9:30 - 11:30 a.m. Where: Gig Harbor Council Chambers (3510 Grandview Street, Gig Harbor)
- Vaughn - Rep. Caldier - When: Feb. 22, 10:00 a.m. Where: Key Peninsual Civic Center (1010 S. Vaughn Rd. NW, Vaughn)
- Bremerton - Rep. Young - When: Feb. 22 1:00 - 3:00 p.m. Where: Bremerton Library (612 5th St, Bremerton)
- Gig Harbor - Rep. Caldier - When: Feb. 22 1:00 p.m. Where: Gig Harbor City Hall (3510 Grandview Street, Gig Harbor)
- Port Orchard - Rep. Caldier - When: Feb. 22 4:00 p.m. Where: Office of the Kitsap County Commissioner (619 Division Street, Port Orchard)
- Lakebay - Rep. Young - When: Feb. 22 7:00 - 9:00 p.m. Where: Key Pen Fire House #46 (8911 Key Peninsula Hwy NW, Lakebay)
27th Legislative District Town Hall – Feb. 22, 10 a.m.-noon with Sen. Darneille, Speaker Jinkins and Fey at Eastside Community Center (1721 E 56th St, Tacoma).
28th Legislative District Town Hall - Feb. 22, 1:30 - 3:00 p.m. with Reps. Kilduff and Leavitt at Civic Building Gallery (3609 Market Place W, University Place)
29th Legislative District Town Hall – Feb.22, 10 a.m.- noon with Sen. Conway. Location TBA.
30th Legislative District Town Hall – Feb. 22, 10a.m. - noon with Sen. Wilson and Reps. Johnson and Pellicciotti at Algona Elementary School (310 Milwaukee Blvd. N Pacific)
34th Legislative District Town Hall – Feb. 23, 3-4:30 pm, Sen. Nguyen at Elliot Bay Brewery (255 SW 152nd St, Burien). AND Feb. 24, 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. Telephone Town Hall with Reps. Cody and Fitzgibbon at https://vekeo.com/WHDC34/
36th Legislative District Town Hall – Feb. 23, 2-4:00 p.m. with Sen. Carlyle and Reps. Frame and Tarleton at the Lagunitas Taproom in the Free-Lard area (1550 NW 49th St., Seattle).
37th Legislative District Town Hall – Feb. 29, noon - 2 p.m. with Sen. Saldaña at New Holly Gathering Hall (7054 32nd Ave. S, Seattle).
39th Legislative District Town Hall - Feb. 22, 10:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. with Sen. Wagoner and Reps. Eslick and Sutherland at Arlington Municipal Airport Putnam Hall (18204 59th Ave. NE, Arlington)
40th Legislative District Town Hall – Feb. 22 and 29, Three events with Rep. Lekanoff or Sen. Lovelett
- Mount Vernon - Rep. Lekanoff - When: Feb. 22, 10:30 - 11:30 a.m. Where: Skagit Valley College Multi-Purpose Room (2405 E. College Way, Mount Vernon)
- Bellingham - Rep. Lekanoff - When: Feb. 22, 1:30 - 2:30 p.m. Where: Fairhaven Library, Fireplace Room (1117 12th Street, Bellingham)
- Anacortes - Sen. Lovelett - When: Feb. 29, 10:30 a.m. – noon Where: Anacortes Educational Service District in the Reid Harbor Room (1601 R Ave, Anacortes)
41st Legislative District Town Hall – Feb. 22, 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m with Sen. Lisa Wellman and Reps. Tana Senn and My-Linh Thai. Bellevue College, Room N201 (3000 Landerholm Circle SE, Bellevue).
42nd Legislative District Town Hall - Feb. 22, two events with Rep. Van Werven or Rep. Shewmake
- Bellingham - Rep. Van Werven - When: 10:00 - 11:30 a.m. Where: Meridian High School Cafeteria (194 W. Laurel Road, Bellingham)
- Bellingham - Rep. Shewmake - When: 1:00 - 3:30 p.m. Where: Whatcom Community College, Henier Theater (237 W. Kellogg Road, Bellingham)
43rd Legislative District Town Hall – Feb. 22, 1:30 to 3 p.m, Sen. Pedersen, Rep. Chopp and Rep. Macri at Seattle First Baptist Church (1111 Harvard Avenue, Seattle)
44th Legislative District Town Hall – Feb. 22, 9:30 a.m. with Sen. Hobbs and Reps. Lovick and Mead at Lake Stevens Senior Center (2302 Soper Hill Rd., Lake Stevens).
45th Legislative District Town Hall – Feb. 22, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. with Sen. Dhingra and Reps. Goodman and Springer at Lake Washington Institute of Technology, West Building, Room 404 (11605 132nd Ave. NE, Kirkland)
47th Legislative District Town Hall – Feb. 23, 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. with Sen. Das at Cascade Hall (12401 SE 320th St, Auburn).
48th Legislative District Town Hall – Feb. 22, 10:30 a.m.-noon with Sen. Kuderer and Reps. Slatter and Walen at Redmond City Hall (15670 NE 85th St, Redmond).
49th Legislative District Telephone Town Hall – Feb. 26, 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. with Sen. Cleveland and Reps. Stonier and Wylie at vekeo.com/WHDC49
Many thanks to our fellow advocates and friends at League of Education Voters for compiling a thorough list of the Town Halls and sharing it out. It takes all of us working together to create the change we want to see!