Changing the Odds
Stand's Tacoma chapter is working with the Tacoma Public School District to change the odds for students and make sure every child has access to the tools, support and resources that will help them achieve.
In 2013, our Stand Tacoma chapter's top priorities are expanding access to college prep courses, expanding access to high-quality preschool, and empowering parents with information about school options in multiple languages and in a user-friendly way.
College Prep Courses
GOAL: To increase the number of students of color and from low-income family enrolled in college prep classes in high school—classes that earn them college credit. Students who take college prep classes such as AP, IB, and Cambridge classes:
- Are more likely to graduate high school and go onto college.
- Save money through the opportunity to earn tuition free college credits while in high school.
- Are more successful in college.
- Are more likely to graduate college, increasing their lifetime earnings.
GOAL: To increase the number of Tacoma students receiving high-quality preschool as 3- and 4-year-olds, especially for students of color and from low-income families. Students who participate in preschool programs, like Head Start and ECAEP, are more likely to prepared for and successful in elementary school. Students who attend preschool are:
- More likely to read on grade-level by third grade.
- Less likely to be held back.
- Less likely to be placed in special education.
- More likely to graduate from high school.
- More likely to be employed with higher wages as an adult.
- More healthy and have lower crime rates.
On top of all of those benefits to kids, research also shows preschool saves money in the long run. For every $1 invested in early learning, at least $7 are saved by the government through reduced remediation costs and lower crime rates.
Extended Learning Time
GOAL: Increase the amount of time Tacoma students spend in school engaged in learning and enrichment activities. Research shows that when used well, extended learning time:
- Helps close achievement gaps by focusing on catching up those students who have fallen behind.
- Has positive impacts on students' social and emotional development.
- Can expand the breadth and depth of content that students are exposed to.
- Can strengthen relationships between students and teachers.
GOAL: To increase students and families awareness of their schooling options in Tacoma. Different students have different needs, so some schools may be better equipped with than others to meet the needs and interests of individual students. When students are aware of their options they can better choose the school that fits them best.