Who we are
Since 2007, Stand for Children has worked to advance public education in Washington. We are a mission-driven organization that strives to ensure that all children, regardless of their background, graduate high school prepared for, and with access to, college or career training.
We make that happen by:
- Championing a bold and bipartisan approach to politics;
- Empowering everyday people to make a difference for their kids, schools, and communities;
- Advocating for lasting policies that improve education.
A survey of our supporters in December 2012 found that:
- 29% are members of a union or have a family member who is;
- 37% are current or former educators (teachers or principals);
- 66% are active in community organizations such as the PTA, NAACP or church groups;
- 38% are the parent of a child currently enrolled in K-12 school;
Our supporters care deeply about making a difference for students in Washington.
Stand for Children Washington operates both a 501(c)(4) nonprofit advocacy organization and a 501(c)(3) charitable organization (the Stand for Children Leadership Center) with a combined budget of $1.2 million. We receive generous support from local community foundations and from individual members and donors like you.
Our 501(c)(3) Leadership Center receives about 30 percent of its funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and 70 percent from individual donors.
Our 501(c)(4) advocacy organization, which works on advocacy, legislation and elections, is funded 100 percent by members and individual donors.