Stand for Children Washington has been advocating on behalf of public education in Washington since 2007.
We are a non-profit education advocacy organization focused on ensuring all students receive a high quality, relevant education, especially those whose boundless potential is overlooked and under-tapped because of their skin color, zip code, first language, or disability.
To fulfill our mission, we organize parents and community members to speak up and demand excellent schools for their children. We work closely with state legislators to shape education policy and with school districts to implement programming that will benefit every kid. Our political action committee takes great care to endorse and support candidates running for office in Washington who are committed education champions and will center students in their decision-making.
In order to achieve these goals, we make an impact by:
- Partnering with parents to support their children’s education journey and to become strong advocates
- Advocating, mainly at the state and local level, for proven policies and funding primarily focused on helping students reach make-or-break milestones: reading well by the end of third grade and graduating high school ready for college, career training, or a career
- Ensuring the changes we fight for reach classrooms and directly support students
- Electing* candidates committed to fighting for an equitable public education system that gives all students a chance to succeed
*Electoral activities are conducted exclusively by Stand for Children or one or more of its affiliated political committees. Stand for Children Leadership Center does not endorse or otherwise support the election or defeat of any candidate for elective public office.
Results for all children. It takes all of us, working together, to create change that will improve the lives of all our kids.
- Bold independence. We are non-partisan and child-focused, we put the best interests of students first. We fearlessly and unapologetically challenge the status quo in pursuit of solutions. We’re willing to take difficult stands because our priority is to get better results for every child.
- Empowerment. We empower parents, educators, volunteers and staff so that they recognize their own power to make change in their communities. Our leaders build lasting networks that will support their work on behalf of students now and in the future.
- Diversity. We make sure that the people who are affected by the decisions being made have a seat at the table and the advocacy skills to make their voice heard.
- Being the change we seek. Society is better off when the people affected by laws have a role in shaping them.
- Direct and respectful communication. We meet people where they are and talk about issues in a common sense way. We are transparent, honest and respectful in every conversation.
Stand for Children celebrates diversity, equity and inclusiveness. We embrace these pillars of excellence as crucial to a healthy organization and supportive of the communities we serve. However, we recognize that inequitable systems, institutional racism, discriminatory practices, and implicit bias continue to limit access and widen the opportunity gap for students who lack power and privilege.
Stand for Children Washington operates both a 501(c)(4) nonprofit advocacy organization and a 501(c)(3) charitable organization (the Stand for Children Leadership Center) with budgets of $1.15 million and $295,000 respectively. We receive generous support from local community foundations and from individual members and donors like you.
Our 501(c)(3) Leadership Center receives 58% of its funding from individual donors, 34% from business and organizations, and 8% from foundations.
Our 501(c)(4) advocacy organization, which works on advocacy, legislation and elections, is funded 100 percent by businesses and organizations.