Who we are
Stand for Children Washington has been advocating on behalf of public education in Washington since 2007.
To fulfill our mission, we organize parents and community members to speak up and demand excellent schools for their children. We work closely with state legislators to shape education policy and with school districts to implement programming that will benefit every kid. Our political action committee takes great care to endorse and support candidates running for office in Washington who are committed education champions and will center students in their decision-making.
OUR MISSION is ensure that all children, regardless of their background, graduate high school prepared for, and with access to, college or career training.
In order to achieve these goals, we take a holistic approach with four distinct components to our Theory of Change:
- Educate & Empower parents, teachers and community members to demand excellent schools.
- Advocate for effective local, state, and national education policies and investments.
- Ensure that the policies and funding we advocate for reach classrooms and help students.
- Elect courageous leaders who will stand up for our priorities.
We believe all children deserve an equal opportunity to succeed in life. Education is the key that unlocks the door to success, but far too many children, through no fault of their own, aren’t getting the education they need to make it in life. At Stand for Children, we are passionately committed to righting this wrong, so that all children, regardless of their background, can graduate from high school prepared for and with access to college or career training.
Results for all children. It takes all of us, working together, to create change that will improve the lives of all our kids.
- Bold independence. We are non-partisan and child-focused, we put the best interests of students first. We fearlessly and unapologetically challenge the status quo in pursuit of solutions. We’re willing to take difficult stands because our priority is to get better results for every child.
- Empowerment. We empower parents, educators, volunteers and staff so that they recognize their own power to make change in their communities. Our leaders build lasting networks that will support their work on behalf of students now and in the future.
- Diversity. We make sure that the people who are affected by the decisions being made have a seat at the table and the advocacy skills to make their voice heard.
- Being the change we seek. Society is better off when the people affected by laws have a role in shaping them.
- Direct and respectful communication. We meet people where they are and talk about issues in a common sense way. We are transparent, honest and respectful in every conversation.
Stand for Children Washington operates both a 501(c)(4) nonprofit advocacy organization and a 501(c)(3) charitable organization (the Stand for Children Leadership Center) with budgets of $1.15 million and $295,000 respectively. We receive generous support from local community foundations and from individual members and donors like you.
Our 501(c)(3) Leadership Center receives 58% of its funding from individual donors, 34% from business and organizations, and 8% from foundations.
Our 501(c)(4) advocacy organization, which works on advocacy, legislation and elections, is funded 100 percent by businesses and organizations.