Beat the Odds: Application
The Beat the Odds Scholarship is for students who have overcome adversity to succeed in school. Three non-renewable scholarships will be awarded in May 2012 for the 2012-2013 academic year.
Criteria for the Award
Scholarship applicants must demonstrate that he/she:
- Is a student enrolled in a Nashville public high school who will graduate in May 2012.
- Has maintained at least a 3.0 grade point average showing marked effort, improvement, or success.
- Has succeeded in spite of hardships such as poverty, disability, homelessness, or personal tragedy.
- Has participated in activities that are helpful to others.
- Has a demonstrated financial need.
Scholarships are contingent on acceptance into an accredited 2 or 4-year college program and will be paid directly to the college.
The Beat the Odds Scholarship is not for everybody. Recipients agree to share their story at the Beat the Odds award ceremony, participate in the creation of an inspirational video, and participate in all related publicity.
How to Apply
Scholarship applications will be accepted ONLY via our online system, Scholar Select. We encourage students to get started early so that they have plenty of time to obtain, scan and upload the required documents, and arrange for the two letters of recommendation. The deadline to submit your application is 11:59 p.m. on Monday, March 12, 2012. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Familiarize yourself with the online application so that you know what you’ll be expected to submit.
- Talk to your recommenders, write your personal statement, and gather necessary materials – ie: transcript and tax form.
- When you’re ready to apply, go to https://scholarselect.com/scholarships/2012-2011-nashville-beat-the-odds to create an account with Scholar Select and complete your application.
- Make sure to hit submit before 11:59 p.m. on Monday, March 12, 2012.
- If you have a question, start by reading our frequently asked questions page. If the FAQ doesn’t address your question, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.