After a decade of tireless advocacy for Oregon students and families at Stand for Children, Toya Fick will be departing from her role as executive director in late Summer of 2022. Toya has been the leading force in not only shaping Stand for Children Oregon’s advocacy within racial justice and education, but in building a brighter Oregon and clearing pathways for our students and families.
A passionate and thoughtful leader, she has championed efforts on Stand’s behalf that have brought historic funding investments for Oregon students, particularly targeting historically marginalized students and families.
Her accomplishments have been wide-ranging and have impacted students across the state. They include:
- Leading the charge on drafting, passing, and securing funding for Measure 98, securing over $750 million for high schools to date. Since its implementation, an additional 2,000 students have graduated from high school.
- Advocating for the passage of the historic Student Success Act, bringing $1 billion to Oregon schools each year.
- Supporting countless legislators and school board members in their elections and subsequent efforts to improve Oregon’s education system.
- Championing House Bill 2001 which will allow Oregon to continue making critical progress towards diversity and representation in our schools.
- Working to secure funds for the state to do a study on whether the spending pattern of the State School Fund – our largest funding source – results in disparities between students who are Black, Indigenous or people of color (BIPOC) and those who are not BIPOC students.
- Expanding Stand for Children Oregon’s focus to racial justice so that we can advocate for students while they are within and outside the classroom.
Toya’s leadership and vision will be greatly missed by the staff, leaders, members, and board at Stand for Children. We are eager to follow her journey and watch her continue to make an impact for Oregonians at her next role as Chief Executive Officer at Meyer Memorial Trust.
“In her ten years with Stand for Children Oregon, the last seven as Executive Director, Toya Fick enabled Stand Oregon to achieve a level of impact that many non-profit organizations aspire to but few achieve. She is a leader and collaborator of the highest caliber. I know I speak for all of my colleagues, our active volunteers, and our supporters, in expressing a heartfelt ‘thank you!’ to Toya for the vision, skill, hard work, and persistence that led to a host of accomplishments, most notably including the passage and full funding of Measure 98.” - Jonah Edelman, Executive Officer, Stand for Children
“The board is incredibly grateful for the passionate and innovative leadership Toya has provided to Stand for Children Oregon. We are excited for her both personally and professionally as she will continue to advocate for equity issues that impact Oregonians at Meyer Memorial Trust. We wish Toya all the best and look forward to this next exciting endeavor.” - Kirsten Brady, Board Chair, Stand for Children Oregon
Stand for Children Oregon will conduct our search for our next executive director over the coming months. We look forward to building on Toya’s work as we continue our mission as a unique catalyst for education equity and racial justice, to create a brighter future for us all.