According to Benjamin Franklin, “an investment in knowledge pays the best interest.” What Ben Franklin clearly understood then, as many understand now, is that high-quality education sets both individuals and society up for a more prosperous future.
That is why it is incredibly important for our education system to serve our children in the best ways possible. No shortcuts, no shortchanging – just equal opportunity for all students.
Yet, the Trump Administration’s proposed budget puts America’s children and our nation’s future at risk by cutting billions in vital investments in education. And the students that stand to lose the most from the budget are, of course, low-income and underserved students.
- Tens of thousands of teachers and counselors could lose their jobs, and grants for teacher training programs could be eliminated.
- Class sizes could get even bigger for millions of students.
- There could be far fewer vital courses, extracurricular activities, and afterschool programs for millions of students.
- 5 million students with disabilities could get less support for special education.
- Help for millions of low-income or first-generation students struggling to afford college could be greatly reduced.
Hardworking students across the country, whether rural or urban, already have a difficult time reaching their full potential due to the current shortcomings in our education system. But these cuts would make their journey vastly more difficult and set progress back many years.
The proposed budget cuts run counter to America’s core values, going all the way back to the Founding Fathers. It is simply wrong. We call on every parent, grandparent, and concerned community member who cares about public education and the American Dream to stand up for children and stand up for the future.