When a new year begins, it’s a natural time for resolve and change. We resolve to exercise more. We resolve to visit family and friends more often. We resolve to clean old belongings out of the house. We get a new haircut.
New Year’s Resolutions are about improvement; we want to improve ourselves and our lives. And, often, we want to improve the world around us. That is what we at Stand for Children resolve to do in 2016. We’re going to keep fighting to ensure that all students receive an excellent education.
So here are some of Stand’s 2016 New Year’s Resolutions:
- We’re going to execute initiatives centered around teacher effectiveness, some of which include increasing teacher pay in some of our states, improving teacher preparation and coaching, focusing on better teacher placement, and more.
- We’re going to work hard to make sure children are reading on-grade level by increasing the number of struggling readers attending summer school, decreasing absenteeism, and implementing policies to strengthen ELL programs in some states.
- We’re going to keep fighting to expand access to quality pre-K in many of our states by working to get adequate funding set aside for pre-K programs.
- We’re going to keep working to protect academic standards so that students graduate college- and career-ready.
- We’re going to level the playing field for students by supporting bills and budgets that decrease huge school funding discrepancies.
Obviously we have a lot to tackle this year, but with your support and commitment, our tireless staff, and our dedicated members, we resolve to change the future for children.
Do you have any 2016 resolutions for your children? Share with us in the comments below!