Organizing for Change: Family Engagement & Organizing
We show up, we speak up, we reach out, we vote.
Through family engagement and organizing, we unite individuals with a common message, amplifying their voices for greater influence.
When the people who are personally invested in the issues show up, speak out, and vote, that has an impact on decision-makers. Organizers educate and empower ordinary people to come together as an extraordinary force for change.
Stand's Four Key Steps to Organizing for Change:
- Educate parents and community members on the issues
- Build teams of members with team leaders
- Develop leaders’ and members’ skills, knowledge, and confidence
- Mobilize teams to take action on issues and electoral campaigns
Ways to Engage with Stand:
- Our family engagement program, Stand University for Parents (Stand UP).
- Educational opportunities, like workshops, community forums, and presentations
- Hosting or attending house parties or other small-group gatherings
- Mobilizing and taking action directly with decision-makers through: testimony, petition drives, meeting with legislators or School Board members, Lobby Days, phone banks, canvassing
- Becoming an official leader or member of Stand for Children
Organizing for change is a vital part of our mission. Every day, decisions are made about education that impact children in every classroom. Our goal is to ensure the people making these decisions are well-informed champions for children and that their decisions are made in students’ best interest to have the greatest positive impact.