National Communications Coordinator
Your role stands at the intersection of communications and the fight to change the odds for low-income children and families. As a key member of Stand’s National Communications team at a moment of tremendous need and opportunity, you will be responsible for providing media relations support for Stand’s national communications strategy as well as provide project support to Stand’s 11 affiliate offices. The Communications Coordinator will also be responsible for writing and translating our messaging to reach Spanish-speaking audiences. Through your dedication and passionate approach to the role, you get the opportunity to work with colleagues who not only care deeply about justice and equity, but who are bold and strategic and take responsibility for achieving substantial progress toward our mission every year.
Stand is a non-profit education advocacy group that believes ALL children deserve an equal opportunity to succeed in life. Stand works to accomplish this mission through:
- Education and empowerment of parents, teachers and communities
- Advocacy at state, local and federal levels
- Ensuring that policies and funding reach classrooms and help students
- Election of courageous leaders who will stand for our priorities”
We focus primarily on increasing early literacy and high school success. Additional priorities include, improving school quality and ensuring adequate funding spent wisely.
Provide public relations and media relations support with an emphasis on amplifying Stand’s national messaging and news items o Research and identify strategic media contacts with an eye towards building a strong national media list;
- Draft and pitch news releases and Stand stories to targeted media;o Monitor Stand’s national earned media;
- Collaborate with Stand’s National Digital Team to amplify awareness of Stand’s news stories;
- Provide support to Stand Affiliate Marketing & Communications Directors in their efforts to grow earned media and conduct PR campaigns;
Support the National Marketing & Communications team through project management; serving as the liaison to Affiliates and other departments
- Support organizational campaigns, with an eye toward brand consistency, best-in-class materials, and fluid coordination across teams;
- Edit a range of organizational and campaign-focused written materials to ensure clarity, conciseness, and effectiveness;
- Manage, maintain, and grow the library of shared collateral, photos, videos, documents;
- Liaising with state affiliates to provide training and support as needed;
- Manage communications reporting and tracking tools;
- Manage the assembly of the Annual Report and other organization-wide material creation, including working with various stakeholders across the organization to collect relevant information and ensure consistent style and tone;
Write, edit and translate copy to reach monolingual and bilingual Spanish-speaking audienceso Draft and disseminate messaging and media materials in Spanish language;
- Translate National and Affiliate Stand materials into Spanish as needed;
- Build a bank of Spanish language media outlets and key contacts to aid outreach and increase coverage in this space;
- Pitch news releases and Stand stories to Spanish-language media outlets.
- Passionate commitment to Stand for Children’s mission and strategy to ensure that all children, regardless of their background, graduate from high school prepared for and with access to a college education;
- 2 years’ experience in media or public relations;
- Spanish – English translation experience; translation certification a plus;
- Understand Spanish language regionalisms and colloquialisms to target different communities;
- Exceptional writing and editing skills; clear and professional oral communication;
- Excellent planning and organizational skills; and exceptional attention to detail;
- Exceptional time management skills with the ability to set and adhere to strict deadlines; comfortable working in an ever-shifting campaign environment;
- Skilled at developing audience-specific, persuasive content, translating policy issues into straightforward communications that will resonate with a diverse range of stakeholders;
- An entrepreneurial, learning orientation and an ability to embrace and incorporate direct feedback;
- A tremendous drive and strong ability to achieve outcomes;
- Roles typically require the ability to be stationary for extended periods of time, to transfer items less than 10 pounds, and may require the ability to climb stairs;
- Written and oral mastery of Spanish Language required.
Stand for Children consists of two separate entities. Stand for Children, Inc., a grassroots membership organization is exempt under section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code, and Stand for Children Leadership Center, a leadership development organization is exempt under section 501(c)(3)
Stand for Children and Stand for Children Leadership Center are Equal Opportunity Employers. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin or disability. We are committed to a diverse and culturally inclusive workplace in which our differences broaden our awareness, enrich our daily experiences and contribute to our collective strength. People of color, members of underrepresented ethnic or socioeconomic populations and bilingual/multi-lingual speakers are strongly encouraged to apply.