I know that you want your Louisiana student to achieve and succeed. I do too and that’s why having high standards and expectations for our kids is so important. You and I have a chance now to make sure that the bar is high for all students so they get what they need in school to be successful in college and in life.
Right now a group of educators, experts, and stakeholders are taking a look at our Louisiana state standards to make sure that they are the best they can be for our students. Perhaps you like the standards the way they are, or maybe there are some ideas you have for how the bar can be raised higher for our students. The Louisiana Department of Education is inviting the public to provide grade by grade and standard by standard input with five simple options:
- I agree with the Standard as written. (comments are optional)
- The Standard should be in a different grade level. (grade selection is required)
- The Standard should be broken up into several, more specific Standards. (suggested rewrite is required)
- The Standard should be rewritten. (suggested rewrite is required)
- Delete this Standard. (comments are required) Because keeping high standards in place is so important, as a state we regularly review, update, and enhance them so the bar remains high on what our kids should know by the end of each grade.
Your participation in the process not only ensures that expectations for students remain high, but it also sends a clear message to our kids that you care about them getting the great education they need to be whatever they want to be when they grow up.
Setting, and keeping, the bar high for our students requires a commitment from each of us to do whatever it takes to get them what they need to succeed. Your investment of just a bit of time is an invaluable and great step towards keeping high expectations for all students, and sending each of them the message that you believe that they can reach, and exceed, any bar set for them.
Standing with you,
Carrie Griffin Monica
Stand for Children Louisiana