Organizing for Change: Family Engagement & Organizing
We show up, we speak up, we reach out, we vote.
In our efforts to ensure that all children have an equal opportunity to graduate from high school prepared for college, we need to be sure that decision-makers hear our voices and take action. Through family engagement, community-based workshops, and organizing, we bring together passionate individuals willing to work and fight together for what’s best for all Louisiana students.
Organizing is a way to purposefully bring a large group of people together and empower them to create change.When members of the community who are impacted by and care about the way our students are learning show up, speak up, and vote, we know that has an impact on decision-makers. Organizers work with their communities to come together and work for positive changes for all students.
At Stand, we have 4 key steps to organizing for change:
- Educate parents and community members on the issues
- Build teams of members with team leaders
- Develop leaders’ and members’ skills, knowledge, and confidence
- Mobilize teams to take action on issues and electoral campaigns
Our organizing work encompasses multiple activities. Ways in which community members engage with us include:
- Our family engagement program, Stand University for Parents (Stand UP). Stand UP is an 8-week course for parents and guardians that focuses on actionable steps they can take to get involved in their children’s academics.
- Our family engagement program, Stand University for Parents (Stand UP). Stand UP, which is an initiative of the Stand for Children Leadership Center, is an 8-week course for parents and guardians that focuses on actionable steps they can take to get involved in their children’s academics.
- Stand UP, an initiative of the Stand for Children Leadership Center, is offered in our affiliate states on a strategic basis, with nearly 1,500 parents having graduated from the program to date.
- Educational opportunities, like workshops, community forums, and presentations
- Hosting or attending house parties or other small-group gatherings
- Mobilizing and taking action directly with decision-makers through: testimony, petition drives, meeting with legislators or School Board members, Lobby Days, phone banks, canvasses
- Becoming an official leader or member of Stand for Children
Organizing for change is a vital part of our mission. Decisions about education are made every day at the district, state, and national level that impact the children in Louisiana classrooms. Our goal is to make sure that the people in charge of those decisions are well-informed and have the best interests of students at the heart of every decision they make.