About Stand for Children Louisiana
We believe ALL children deserve an equal opportunity to succeed in life. Education is the key that unlocks the door to success. Every child starts with a dream for the future. In Louisiana, 77% of our fourth graders and 79% of our eighth graders are unable to read at grade level. In New Orleans, 54% of our students attend a school rated D or F.
It’s time to right this wrong.
If we want our children to achieve their dreams, we must first take a stand and give every student a strong start, high expectations, effective teachers, high quality schools, and bold, student-centered leaders.
Stand for Children is a non-profit education advocacy organization focused on ensuring all students receive a high quality, relevant education, especially those whose boundless potential is overlooked and under-tapped because of their skin color, zip code, first language, or disability. We make an impact by:
- Partnering with parents to support their children’s education journey and to become strong advocates.
- Advocating, mainly at the state and local level, for proven policies and funding primarily focused on helping students reach make-or-break milestones:
- Reading well by the end of third grade
- Graduating high school ready for college, career training, or a career
- Ensuring the changes we fight for reach classrooms and directly support students.
- Electing candidates committed to fighting for an equitable public education system that gives all students a chance to succeed.
Stand for Children has almost 20 years of experience working with parents, communities, and partner organizations to mobilize around the shared commitment of improving public education for all students. Together, we advocate for strong education policies that best serve students at the local and state level, elect education champions who are committed to making decisions that are best for students, and hold public officials accountable for ensuring those policies are put into effect properly in public school classrooms. See what we do to accomplish education advocacy from the classroom to the Capitol.
Access to a quality public education is a basic human right – one we are dedicated to protecting.