Can't Read? Can't Succeed.
- In Massachusetts, 53% of all students are not reading proficiently by the end of third grade
- Even more concerning is that more than 70% of Black and Latino children are not reading proficiently by the end of third grade.
The numbers are even more bleak for English Language Learner (ELL) students.
The ability to read is critical to a child's success in school, life-long earning potential, and ability to contribute to the nation's economy and our community's safety. We need to invest in our students and ensure that all children are reading on grade level.
We will do this by:
- Ensuring all students have the knowledge and skills necessary;
- Implementing support for educators;
- Identifying struggling readers earlier;
- Introducing intervention plans for struggling readers.
To learn how you can get involved, visit Every Child Reads.