It should come as no surprise that most of our Stand leaders are women: mothers, grandmothers, teachers, and community members who are brought together by their shared passion for improving schools and systems for our children.
For our final Women’s History Month post, we felt it was important to recognize the work of the women in our Stand Colorado family. Whether they’re working with the Governor on funding full-day Kindergarten, speaking out at the legislature or School Board meetings, or attending our literacy workshops, Stand women are empowered to advocate for their children and get their voices heard.
The following photos represent only a tiny portion of the tremendous work our members and leaders have accomplished in the last year. Scroll down to read more about their accomplishments and find out how you can get involved in making history with Stand for Children Colorado!
- DPS Superintendent Susana Cordova hands Team Captain Jeannie a certificate of honor for her contributions as a Stand leader during our Winter Summit on December 15, 2018. You can read more about the Summit here.
- West Early College parents toured the Capitol building and spoke with DPS Board Member Lisa Flores and Representative Serena Gonzalez-Gutierrez.
- Glenda speaks at a DPS Board Meeting about her community’s priorities for the next DPS Superintendent. Read more about the findings from our Superintendent Search Survey here.
- Cristin and Hannah testified in front of the powerful Joint Budget Committee in support of fully funding full-day Kindergarten in Colorado in February.
- Aneb works with an interpreter, Faduma, on an activity that asked parents to allocate and prioritize funds if they were in charge of a school.
- Asia, a Stand for Children Parent Advocacy Fellow, speaks at a press conference with Governor Polis, Representatives McLachlan and Wilson, and Senator Bridges in announcement of a bill to allocate the proposed $185 million for fully-funded full day kindergarten. Learn more about Asia’s story and the bill here.
- Ruby discusses the important of increasing access to full-day Kindergarten with Governor Jared Polis during a Facebook Live event on the Governor’s page. You can view the conversation here.
- The moms and grandmas who attend our literacy workshops work full time, volunteer at their child’s schools, and actively seek resources to support their child’s reading. Read about the work that Stand for Children CO and our parents do to increase early literacy rates in Colorado here.
Feel inspired? Want to get involved?