Educators from the Denver Classroom Teachers Association (DCTA) are currently on strike while negotiations with Denver Public Schools (DPS) continue.
I wanted to share some resources I thought may be helpful for your family during this time:
- Information from DPS about what to expect at school: Family Resource Guides are available in multiple languages here. Also, help is available in multiple languages from the DPS Family Helpline at 720-423-3054 between 7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m., Monday-Friday.
- Preschool: Early childhood education programs are cancelled. Parents searching for licensed child care options during the teacher strike may call Colorado Shines Child Care Referral at Mile High United Way at 1-877-338-2273 or text “child care referral” to 898-211.
- Meals: DPS has stated that meals will continue to be served at schools as usual. Preschool students accompanied by a parent will be able eat at school. DCTA has established four food bank locations where they will be collecting and distributing non-perishable food items from 7 a.m. to noon:
- Northwest – Denver Firefighters Local 858: 12 Lakeside Lane
- Northeast – IBEW Local 111: 5965 E. 39th Ave.
- Southwest – National Association of Letter Carriers Branch 47: 5151 W. First Ave
- Southeast – Unite Here Local 23: 5303 E Evans Ave., # 302.
DCTA and DPS are set to return to the negotiating table today. As we have said before, it is our hope that DPS and DCTA reach an agreement soon.