What goals do you have for your child? At Stand for Children Colorado, our goal is to make sure all students across the state are reading on grade level so that they are ready to succeed in whatever future lies ahead of them. However, as children's book author and aviator, Antoine de Saint Exupéry, once said:
"A GOAL WITHOUT A PLAN IS JUST A WISH"
Wishing is important, but we want to see real results come out of our hopes & dreams! Our plan to achieve our goal involves setting up parent workshops to support families with at-home literacy tools and partnering with schools to ensure early literacy is a top priority.
What's your plan to encourage literacy and a love of reading in your home? If you don't have one yet, that's fine! Follow our tips to creating a plan that fits the needs of your family:
- Decide how many minutes and days per week you want to read at home. Is it 10 minutes every day? 20 minutes three times a week? Create a number and try it out. Choose your plan and get started today.
- If something isn't working, switch it up! If you find that your original plan of reading right before bed is thwarted by hectic evening routines, don't keep struggling - adjust your plan! Maybe right after dinner is a better time.
- Create a checklist of books you want to read. Visit your local library or check out the Scholastic Book Wizard for titles that interest your child. Every time they finish a book on the list, they get to cross it off before moving on to the next one.
- Designate reading spots around your home and around town! Maybe on Tuesdays you'll read together in the living room and on Saturdays you'll read at the park. Switching up locations can keep things exciting and make reading time something your child will look forward to.
- Check out the Read Now Pledge for inspiration. We've created a simple outline that parents can use to create a plan. All that's left for you to do is to tailor it so that it fits the needs and schedule of your family.
The commitment is simple but the payoff could be huge. Check out www.readnowcolorado.org or follow us on Twitter @ReadNowCO to discover resources and tools that will help you make your family's literacy goals into a reality!
Does your family already have a reading routine? Share it with us!