Career Opportunity: AZ Development Manager
Stand for Children is a powerful voice for students. Our mission is to ensure that all children, regardless of their background, graduate from high school prepared for, and with access to, a college education. To date, Stand for Children’s eleven state affiliates (AZ, CO, IL, IN, LA, MA, OK, OR, TN, TX, and WA) have impacted the lives of millions of children through their state and district level work.
The Stand for Children family consists of two separate organizations—Stand for Children, a grassroots membership lobby for children exempt under section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code, and Stand for Children Leadership Center, a leadership development organization exempt under section 501(c)(3).
Stand for Children and the Stand for Children Leadership Center work together to:
- Educate and empower parents, teachers, and community members to demand excellent schools; and
- Advocate for effective local and state education policies and investments and ensure that those policies impact classrooms and students.
Separately, Stand for Children works to elect courageous leaders who will stand up for our priorities.
We stand for achievement by all students, through quality early childhood education, effective, empowered and supported teachers and principals, engaged families with high expectations, and other strategies that provide students the tailored instruction and support they need to graduate high school ready for college.
We stand for access to high quality schools for all students, especially students in poverty, students of color, and students learning English. To expand access to all students, we advocate for effective educational leadership at all levels, sufficient and effectively spent school funding, and clear, accurate information about how schools are performing for parents, educators, and the community.
We believe all children deserve an equal opportunity to succeed in life. Education is the key that unlocks the door to success, but far too many children, through no fault of their own, aren’t getting the education they need to make it in life. We are passionately committed to righting this wrong.
Stand for Children Development Managers deepen our impact by driving success in statewide donor and grants programs. Primary responsibilities include supporting and managing the fundraising strategies of the 501c3, 501c4, and state political action committee.
- Build strategy, systems and fundraising culture in the affiliate in support of the Executive Director achieving their financial sustainability goals
- Work closely with the Executive Director to create and lead a systematic prospecting and moves management process to achieve financial goals;
- Research prospective new donors and funding opportunities in support of the Executive Director's ongoing prospect cultivation efforts;
- Arrange donor/prospect meetings, prepare briefings and support materials, coordinate site visits and program reports, and document all donor interactions and gift information in SalesForce;
- Manage the donor database as a CRM resource tool
- Work with the Finance Team Liaison to ensure that the affiliate is on target to meet financial sustainability goals;
- Plan, manage and staff fundraising events, as needed, including post-even debriefs and follow-up for donor cultivation;
- In coordination with the State Operations Coordinator, manage fundraising administrative work, including gifts acknowledgement, data entry, and local check deposits;
- Assist with the building, management, cultivation of the Advisory Council and its involvement in the engagement of donors at a local level when deemed appropriate;
- Research, structure and maintain sustainable grants program
- Conduct research and due diligence for new foundations and grant prospects; provide strategic guidance to the Executive Director and staff on approach as well as on expanding support from current foundations;
- Write and steward foundation grant proposals in partnership with the Executive Director and program staff; coordinate with National on multi-state grants;
- Track proposal progress and maintain grants calendar, including but not limited to submission deadlines and budgeting;
- Ensure timely and accurate grant reporting and submission;
- Oversee and manage development communications and reporting
- Partner with the Marketing and Communications Director and Digital Strategist to develop a robust donor communications strategy that guides the communications calendar and creation of donor-centered collateral materials;
- Work with key program staff to develop content for regular external communications with supporters.
- The Development Manager reports to the Executive Director and is a member of the multi-state Stand for Children Development cohort.
- Passionate and unwavering belief in Stand for Children’s mission and strategy to ensure that all children, regardless of their background, graduate from high school prepared for and with access to a college education;
- Five years’ progressive experience in development
- Experience building a donor centered culture of philanthropy and demonstrated ability to coach and guide executive leadership and program staff in fundraising strategies and techniques;
- Superior relational skills and familiarity with fundraising best practices with individual donors;
- Proven project management skills, including the ability to balance multiple tasks and projects while delivering quality work on schedule; Event planning experience strongly preferred;
- Minimum one year proven success with all aspects of grants management, including research, writing proposals and reports, and stewardship;
- Outstanding written communication skills and strong attention to detail;
- Experience with 501c4 and/or political fundraising preferred; and
- Salesforce experience preferred.
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience. Stand for Children is proud to offer excellent benefits: health and dental coverage; life insurance, and short- and long-term disability; 401K with a match plan; flexible spending/benefits plan; holidays and vacation accrual.